Skip to main content

Goals for 2016

Since 2012, I've created a list of annual goals which I hope to achieve within the following twelve months.  This is one way to keep track of the progress of various projects and it's a bit of self-entertainment.

My goals for 2015 were:-

  1.  Move house;
  2. Finish Fabian;
  3. Write at least one short story or poem a month;
  4. Finish the NCC Skills course.;
  5. Continue with the NVQ Level 3 course;
  6. Fun stuff - swimming; doll collecting; photography; art.
We certainly moved house.  We sold our 1940s box-like semi in West Kirby and bought this lovely four-bedroom Victorian home, built in 1879, in Oxton.  Both of us consider that buying this house was one of the best decisions we've ever made.  We have a garden, an art room, we both have our own rooms - his for his films, music and Dr Who collection, and mine is where I write and keep my dolls houses and doll collection.  The dogs have settled in well.  The only thing I miss about our previous house is my pond.  I have been eyeing a corner of the lawn.

Fabian is finished.  More or less.  It's currently being edited and polished in readiness for publication in the spring (date TBC).  The front cover isn't done yet, but the props for the photoshoot are ready and waiting.  Memo to self: buy camera batteries.

I successfully completed the NCC Skills course.  However, the NVQ course is still in progress; I had hoped to have finished this, but the course turned out to be much longer than anticipated.  My tutor, a lovely bubbly lady, recently said I'd probably have it finished by July/August.  The course requires a huge amount of writing, which seems silly for what is supposed to be a vocational course.  I could have had another novel written in the time it's taken me to do this!

In August, I changed jobs; still with a similar role but with a much larger company.  There was an in-depth induction training programme, which I have now completed.  I genuinely like my new job, which also brought a nice pay rise and improved working conditions.

These changes, and the time consumed by doing courses, has meant that my intention to write at least one poem or short story per month totally went to the wall!  I wrote all of five poems and didn't complete any short stories.  There is a story on the backburner, which looks likely to evolve into a novella rather than a short story.  I'd 20,000 words of it drafted already before my old PC died - and guess who'd not made a copy on disc.  I began re-writing it, but it seems to be morphing into a quite different tale this time - but that's perfectly ok. 

I haven't been swimming for nearly a year, which is something I hope to fix soon.  I miss going and its good exercise.  It's also quite meditative, focusing on the pull of muscles through the water.  We're looking to buy an exercise bike for the house, but this won't be as much fun as swimming.  On the other hand the background music will be better.

My doll collection has only four new additions, and I've not done much photography.  However, I have been making good use of our art room, creating several watercolour paintings. I've also been doing some rapid sketching around Birkenhead Park.  Some of these have been posted here on this blog over recent months.

So, here are my goals for 2016:-
  1. Publish Fabian;
  2. Finish the NVQ Level 3 course;
  3. Write more poems and short stories;
  4. Create more art and photography.
My list of goals seems to get simpler each year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Cure for Aging?

"All that we profess to do is but this, - to find out the secrets of the human frame; to know why the parts ossify and the blood stagnates, and to apply continual preventatives to the effort of time.  This is not magic; it is the art of medicine rightly understood.  In our order we hold most noble -, first, that knowledge which elevates the intellect; secondly, that which preserves the body.  But the mere art (extracted from the juices and simples) which recruits the animal vigour and arrests the progress of decay, or that more noble secret which I will only hint to thee at present, by which heat or calorific, as ye call it, being, as Heraclitus wisely taught, the primordial principle of life, can be made its perpectual renovator...." Zanoni, book IV, chapter II, by Edward Bulwer-Lytton, first published in 1842. Oroboros keyring - Spooky Cute Designs The idea of being able to achieve an immortal life is probably as old as human life itself.  Folklore and mythology ab

Feature & Follow Friday

The Feature & Follow is hosted by Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog. How does this work? First, leave your name on this post, (using the Linky tool at the end of this post).  Next, create a post on your own blog and add the Linky code.  Thirdly, visit as many blogs as you can and tell them "hi" in their comments, (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. Win. Win. Just make sure to follow back if someone follows you! What sets this Hop apart from others, is the Feature. Each week Parajunkee and Alison will showcase a Featured Blogger, from all different genres and areas. Who is their Feature today? Find out below, using the links to their sites. There is also a set project which people can participate with.  This week's asks:  If you could choose any character from a book, who would it be?  What do you think that character looks like and what do you have in

Ancient Rock Carving in Stapledon Woods, Wirral.

Richard on top of the rock, to give an idea of its size.  This strange carving can be found on the Caldy side of Stapledon Woods, facing farm fields which are separated from the wood by a low sandstone wall with a castellated top.  In summer, the rock face is hidden from casual view by trees covering the slope which leads up to it from the path running alongside the sandstone wall. Has anyone got any information about this carving - what it is, its age and purpose?  I've been given several theories; one that it was made for shelter, (which seems dubious as it wouldn't work very well); or that it was somekind of ancient relinquary relating to pre-Xtian religious beliefs.  Any further ideas or documented evidence would be most welcome.